Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Teaser & Quiz

Two quick things...

First, Cygnus has got something kind of big up his sleeve.  A new project will be revealed very soon.  (Well, maybe in a week or two; we'll see.)  I'm not quite ready to spill the beans about it, but let me give you all one hint:

Mondo.

Second, I'm curious if any of your memories might be jogged by a little trivia obscura. Long-time readers will know that I'm obsessed with signs, symbols, and alphabets of all kinds.  There is one set of symbols that I've had in the back of my mind for almost 40 years now.  They made their first appearance in popular culture in the 1970s.  Thanks to the internet, I've finally been able to reconstruct the full set accurately:


Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to tell me where these symbols come from.  (I won't ask you what they mean, because I'm not quite sure about that, myself!)

2 comments:

  1. They look like astrology/astronomy symbols. If you do a Google image search for 'astrology symbols' you will see a lot of them.

    Numbering left to right, top to bottom:
    4&7 - Taurus
    15 - Aquarius
    10 - Capricorn
    16 - Sun
    6&9 - Man
    14 - Could be 'Head' or 'Fire'
    2&5 - I might guess to be the phase of the moon. i.e. 1 quarter.
    13 - crescent moon maybe.
    3 - just looks like an anchor to me. I don't feel it really belongs.
    8&11 - looks like a fish. So it could be Pisces but it reminds me of the fish symbol used to identify Christians, so maybe it doesn't belong either.
    1&12 - have me stumped. I think they might be someones personal interpretation of another astrology symbol.

    John.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the detailed exegesis. They really do look astrological, don't they? The answer is much more mundane (unfortunately? surprisingly?)... see today's (Nov. 10) post.

      Delete