Friday, September 12, 2014

Overdue

Holy crap, has it been more than a month since my last post?  If I searched, I could probably find myself saying "life has been crazy" about a dozen times over the life of this blog... but this hiatus has been living proof.

Hmm, where to pick up the golden thread?  In the last post, I teased about something Star Trek themed that I found at a New Jersey flea market.  They were 'zines!


I have a soft spot for these typewritten, photostatted, fan-produced gems. They were the forerunner to today's fan fiction forums, and they highlighted the true love that fans can muster for their favorite imagined worlds.  The two zines that I found were from the "movie era" -- specifically, the 2nd issue of More Missions, More Myths (1985) and the stand-alone story The Honorable Sacrifice (1981).  They're probably not in any way valuable or collectible... but this was the first time I've seen any Star Trek fanzine "out in the wild."  For $2.50 a pop, how could I go wrong?  :-)

I regret to say that I still haven't been able to start reading these stories, but I'll post if I have insights.  On first glance, I wasn't surprised to see Spock as the primary focus of most stories, but McCoy was much more a major player, throughout, than I thought he'd be.

- - - - -

Just about any "other news" I can think of to report seems to revolve around the Doctor...
  • We're only a few episodes into Peter Capaldi's run as the 12th Doctor.  So far, I don't think my prediction for him to be all empathic, intuitive, and Cancerian is holding up too well, but we'll see how the season progresses.  Still, Cancers are supposed to have major sweet-tooths, and we saw this Doctor noshing on something creamy and delicious early in the latest episode.  Good thing he kept his utensil with him...
  • I was surprised to see 10th Doctor David Tennant rambling about his love for the almost-forgotten 1980s band The Housemartins in this clip.  (It's labeled a "deleted scene," but it was actually in the episode... just playing silently in the background while he's riffing.)  But, to the point: the Housemartins rock!
  • My son, just starting his second year of middle school, recently completed a Language Arts assignment to write a multi-paragraph story.  He brought home his writing, and I was proud as all get-out to see a developing story about how River Song hid a secret message in the Declaration of Independence, to lure the Doctor to come back to 1776 and fight off a Dalek invasion at Independence Hall.  He even had Amy Pond saying "Oi!"  :-)
Anyway, I hope to be able to post a bit more frequently as the fall goes on.  Allons-y!

6 comments:

  1. I love your description of son's story! Greatness in the making.

    Must look into the Housemartins ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's also now quite engrossed in Minecraft... it won't be long till I see a big blue TARDIS on his screen, made up of low-res computer bricks. :-)

      The Housemartins were interesting. Their music was very "Brit-pop" and upbeat, but the lyrics could be sometimes dripping with contempt for some object of post-Thatcher-era scorn. Sometimes the mixture was kind of incomprehensible -- but still enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie. I neglected to give the title of his story, though: "We the River" :-) :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm still undecided regarding the new Dr. Who season. I have no problem with the new Doctor. I'm not too impressed with the stories so far, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most recent one ("Listen") was really good, but yeah, there have been some clunkers. That stupid golden arrow marred the otherwise fun Robin Hood story. The ongoing tone-deafness about soldiers is grating, too. (Journey Blue would be an awesome companion!)

      Delete