Tuesday, August 5, 2014

New Jersey pictorama

A trip to the Jersey shore isn't complete without a visit to the beach.


But of course some of the Garden State's weirder attractions deserve some homage, too.



 (I learned more from the dinosaur artist's wikipedia page than I ever learned living a quarter of a mile from him for decades.  I have no idea what's up with that Tin Man, but Jersey's certainly got heart...)

I also was glad to show my son the school where I went to kindergarten through 4th grade...


and to go digging for treasure at the local swap meet,


However, we had just as much fun rooting around my parents' musty attic...


and checking out the local flora and fauna.

 




A heavenly good time.



FYI, that flea market contained what I think is a pretty rare find... at least in my geeky universe... and I'm planning another post to talk more about it.

10 comments:

  1. So green!

    I instantly felt this wonderful feeling inside thinking about you and your son visiting your old school and nosing around your parents' attic. Gosh, I love stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was extremely green... as it is in New England this summer, too. (That's one thing that I think we'll miss in the foothills of the Rockies...)

      Delete
    2. You will have *plenty* of natural beauty, I promise you.

      Delete
  2. The Voyage Home...

    Your old elementary school's gorgeous! All schools should look like important places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another gosh. What a lovely thing to say!

      Delete
    2. :-) It was built in the 1930s. I remember the ceilings being really high, but in this case that's not (totally) due to being a little kid!

      I wish I could have gotten a better shot of the circular stained glass window above the middle entrance. It's the Earth -- mostly blue, but with green & gold/brown continents.

      Delete
    3. My high school used to be beautiful - built in the late '20s, similar style to this. Murals spanning the decades adorning the walls inside. They renovated about 15ish years ago - modern and charmless.

      Delete
    4. Aw... sorry to hear that. I hope that architecture will come around again to an uplifting place. My little dude wants to be an architect... I should show him some art deco and Frank Lloyd Wright.

      Delete
    5. No doubt, he's a fan of the LEGO architecture series? My wife loves those. She has the Guggenheim.

      Delete
    6. Yup, he just did the Roman Trevi fountain! :-)

      Delete