Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mjolnir

Al over at Beyond the Black Gate has a fun post about Thor's hammer Mjolnir and the powers that accrued to it over years of Marvel comics stories.  For me, it's funny that the movie Thor is coming out this year, when my son is 9.  When I was that same age, in 1976, I had a serious jones for Norse mythology -- both the "real" kind and the Lee/Kirby variety -- and I staged a play in my 4th grade classroom based on the death of Balder. For that play, my Dad made me my own wooden Mjolnir...

Needless to say my geekfest of a play didn't go over that well, but the hammer was a definite hit! I was pleased to find this uru talisman the last time we visited my parents, and I'm still grateful to my Dad after all these years for giving me something to swing in the back yard while yelling "For Odin! For Asgaaaard!"

2 comments: