Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Beam me up....

It's geek cliche, but I've always loved Star Trek. The stories, the aliens, the ships, the whole deal. In the early 1980s, I yearned for a way to immerse myself further in that universe through gaming. At that time, there were really only two readily available options: the FASA Star Trek RPG, and Task Force Games' Star Fleet Battles. For some reason, my friends and I gravitated toward the latter, and we had lots of fun with Stephen V. Cole's alternate take on a much more war-torn "star fleet universe."

However, if we had access to a time machine and found Mike Berkey's 2009 free RPG Where No Man Has Gone Before, I think we would have tossed aside SFB like a Denebian blood worm! It has a very light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek approach that is a great fit to the original series. It's also the first time that I've felt that a skill-heavy d20 (3rd edition D&D type) rules system makes sense to play around with.

If I ever have time (ha ha), I may try to convert a few of the more interesting SFB ships into the simpler and more intuitive WNMHGB format. I couldn't imagine Star Trek gaming without the super-duper power ships like the Klingon B-10 or the Federation Napoleon-class fighter carrier! (Example pic after the jump...)  Live long and prosper!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment