Saturday, June 13, 2020

All I really need to know...

...I learned from Closer to the Heart.


I'm not sure why I felt the need to post about this, given that I probably said all that needs to be said about this fiery manifesto of love a few years ago.  But the last time I posted to the blog, the world was in a very different place.  I think this message is needed.  So maybe just a few pictures here.

The song -- by Canadian prog-rock trio Rush if you don't know -- is only 75 words long, but I've held each of those suckers close to my own heart for more than 30 years.  You want to see the super-sophisticated Macintosh word-art that was pinned up on my desk for several years in college, don't you...

(Click to zoom for dot-matrix printer goodness)

I saw Rush live 4 times over that time...


...and it's kind of hard to believe that these peak experiences, in total, cost less than what's now one month's cable/internet bill.

I don't know what else to say except that I still miss Neil, who left us back in January.

(Okay, not my best photoshop, but not my worst)

I'll continue to sow, and mould, and forge, and try to help chart a path to somewhere positive.

8 comments:

  1. I'm actually tearing up and full of the unspeakable, right at the throat and the heart, as I read this. I watched an interview between John and Roger Taylor of Duran Duran yesterday and cried then, too. Our world is so very different, and not in a better way, I think, sadly. I do believe it goes down to the paradigms, the things we don't hold closely enough to the heart. I watched these two icons from my youth trying to make sense of things with a light touch and a fond sense of the golden age that catapulted them not just to stardom but a bevy of experiences and I mourn what I'm seeing erupt in the collective shadow now. I still hold hope, though. I believe in the human family, despite the trauma, the turmoil, the injustice, the cost of Internet (not just in dollars, but on so many levels I won't bother to rant about here). But this post inspired me, Servitor. I'm so glad you shared this with us.

    -Susalita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Susalita... Been a while!

      Cyg, I love the Force Ghost photo, obviously.

      The world is in need of powerful love right now and despite what the headlines would have one believe, some are definitely trying. I mean for crying out loud, I think of all the nurses and doctors fighting on the front lines right now. If that's not an act of love, I think we've lost sight of what the word means.

      Best wishes to both of you. I am comforted to know you are there, thinking deeply, loving deeply, living deeply.

      Delete
    2. Can you believe it's been almost exactly 6 years since the Songs of Summer?

      Delete
    3. Looking back at the posts, that was also just before or just after you moved to Colorado...

      Delete
    4. That's right. My blogging decline since then was partly due to lack of time, because of the new job out here... but I always hold out hope for a renaissance! :-)

      Delete