Monday, October 24, 2016

She's wayfinding

Long-time readers will remember frequent commenter Suze, whose blogs were the stuff of legends and lore.  She's got a new online home now, and I'm still figuring out how to get it to appear in my Blogger Blogroll of Bloggerifficness.  (I think it's working now...)  Two weeks ago was the launch of her first published book, Kyle Finds Her Way, with Harry Potter publisher Scholastic!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25488352-kyle-finds-her-way

The author herself pegs the recommended age range as 1 to 92.  If you like earnest slices of life from a middle schooler learning how to navigate life's starry expanse, while not getting into too much (or too little) trouble along the way, this book is for you.

I was privileged to read Kyle's story in draft form back in April 2013, back when I got the email saying that
First draft of the first book of my Middle Grade series now complete at 42,989 words.  Pop-Rocks-covered strawberries for everyone, on me -- the next big thing in Junior High libraries the galaxy over.
Never underestimate an author who likes pop-rocks-covered strawberries, people.  And I just realized where my extra copy is going.

I still haven't finished reading the final published version, but I went back to my email archive to find out what I said about that first draft.  I can quote snippets such as "warmed my heart" and "wonderful story" and "Hooray for Devil's Dinner!" (though I'm not sure that part survives into the final book).  I can't find any words from 2013 that really do proper justice to this kind, thoughtful story, but maybe I'll edit this post once I come up with some new ones.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Cygman. Unfortunately, Devil's Dinner (and Sally and Axel) got cut during revising for my agent, way before it even got to my editor. But I suspect the spirits of both will nose their way into something, as stuff with a life of its own tends to do.

    Thank you so much for this lovely post. I am trying to figure out how to get back into the old blogging community but since I'm now blogging on my own domain and website, the best I can do is to comment anonymously on blogs that accept it. Thanks for making yours one!

    I'd love to see Kyle in a junior high library local to your digs. That'd be just ... Ace. ;)

    --The Countess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't have quoted such a non-sequitur, but I had an urge to make it a list of three. I think I remember the paring down of the older characters. Now I need to get to reading the final version on my shelf!

      Delete
  2. Hooray for Suze! Glad she's back in the blogosphere, too.

    ReplyDelete