Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Me... In... Space...

No, I haven't been accepted into the astronaut program -- yet!

However, my namesake, the Orbital Sciences CYGNUS spacecraft, has just made its first flight into orbit!  (They must be Rush fans, too.)  If you look closely at the press photos, you can see that it's named after yours truly.  Here, let me blow it up for you...


I think the entry of private companies into space flight is an extremely hopeful sign for the future.  More players make for a more exciting and competitive game, leading to lower costs and new ideas.  Still, there's plenty of room for the government to fund the really big, visionary projects -- if it so chooses.  I was excited to see an article in this month's Physics Today outlining some grand ideas for how to really accomplish an interstellar trip to Alpha Centauri.  (It's pretty rare to see speculation like this in that great, but slightly musty and stodgy, magazine!)

All the more impetus for this Cygnus to get moving on his project for a Space Race / Right Stuff inspired role playing game.  Initial ideas for that game are here and here.  We'll see what the fuuuuuuture holds!  :-)

12 comments:

  1. 'Here, let me blow it up for you...'

    :)

    Okay, so was the title a reference to Pigs ... In ... Space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pignus. :D

      I thought of that just as my first comment was posting. I also debated whether or not I should post this comment but here it is. It's childish and immature but it made me laugh. I hope it makes you laugh, too.

      Delete
    2. I just laughed again. It's all quiet in the apartment and here I am laughing at Pignus. Geez, I just laughed again when I typed it that last time.

      Delete
    3. "We shall call you Pignus... the god of bacon, you will be."

      Yes, the title was Muppet related. The 'blow it up' line, though, was just meant to refer to the zoom-in of my photoshopped avatar, not to the Great Gonzo's love of explosives. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think the future of space exploration belongs to the robots, but it will be fascinating as to what they find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, once we can upload our brains into computers, the distinction will be moot! A century-long trip to the nearest star may not be so bad if you could turn a dial and slow down your brain functions by a factor of 100.

      (The above bedazzled bit of techno-optimism is only somewhat tongue-in-cheek...)

      Delete
    2. 'Of course, once we can upload our brains into computers, the distinction will be moot!'

      Why I oughta ...

      Delete
    3. I joke, but I do seriously value your skepticism on this issue. None of think we could become full-on kool-aid drinkers, but this Singularity stuff has a siren song that tempts me big time.

      Delete
    4. 'None of US think...'

      'has BEEN a siren song...'

      Never type when in a rush!

      Delete
  3. I don't know. Privatization of anything makes me nervous, even a little sad. I'm not a communist - that's going too far. But I'm not convinced capitalism is the answer to all problems either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to space exploitation (not exploration), I think entrepreneurial competition will be a net positive. Their goal seems to be to show everyone that one can do a lot better than the bloated, rent-seeking monopoly that everyone associates with space travel. But, full disclosure: I work for the guv'mint, and if those big agencies were to disappear, I'd be out of work! :-)

      Delete
    2. I am, in fact, a second generation public employee. I hear you.

      Delete